Thursday, July 3, 2014

An introduction....


What can I say? I was made for this? I've been working in retail since I was 18 years old. Six months into working for an office supply store I was already in middle management making what some people's parents pay their bills with. I've always been a talker. I'm not a salesmen. 
I work for companies that I shop at and that I believe in. I would never work for a company just for the money. Some of my friends went to college and got their degrees in Phycology or Business and I can respect that. If you go to school to further your education, cool. But if you went to college because you thought it was your ticket to the front of the employment line, you were wrong. I know this first hand. There are only a handful of degrees that will "guarantee" you a job when you are finished with college. I am using the word guarantee loosely here, but you know what I'm saying. I know people with bachelors degrees that work as receptionists at medical offices making as much as a fast food workers make. I guess what I'm saying is that it's not the degree that gets you somewhere in life, it's your drive. If you're a driven person you will do well in life with or without college. I hire people with bachelors degrees all the time. I pay them $9 to $10 an hour to cashier for me. This notion that college degree = cool, exciting and fulfilling job is a load of crap. People watch to many Disney channel movies growing up. The odds are against you unless you have the drive to do something great yourself. Everybody can't have a corner office and go on hour long lunch breaks to cool trendy restaurants everyday. Not with that college debt you can't. Not for a few years at least. You better get use to packing your lunch. The job market is harsh to say the least.

No comments:

Post a Comment